Monday, November 26, 2007

Concepts | Ferns

"Ferns" reminded me of some good ol'-fashioned movie theme. You know, the ones you hear when a wonderful, idyllic landscape is discovered for the first time and the camera takes a good look around. The slow speed and the classical touch to "Ferns" had me imagine some middleage village, thick stones and heavy wooden logs define the architecture. To have a proper set for the shots I sketched a couple of very small villages...



Then I had to figure out what such a village needs, what characteristics it should have to get as close to the atmosphere I imagined as can. A high position for overall camera shots may be provided by a watchtower, a lighthouse or something like that.





While working on these sketches and models I came to think of a very different setting, "Ferns" might go with... So I sketched a little and after a few attempts I had a look I kinda liked... It's a more futuristic setting. The buildings would have a more solid surface, something like very clean, bright plastic or polished metal...

No comments: